Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dress Yourself in Bleeding Madras


Recently, when I was in the airport perusing the endless magazine racks I found myself picking up the most recent issue of Spin Magazine. I am going to admit that I am not a huge fan of the mag, but the cover with my latest favorite, Vampire Weekend, made buying the magazine a no-brainer.
Vampire Weekend started their buzz in mostly blogs but now they are selling out shows all over California. These former ivy leaguers (it's true they met at Columbia University) fuse African rhythms with poppy sounds, to create an indie sound all their own. Not only did these guys graduate but they formed a band, got signed and toured Europe with the White Stripes in a matter of two years. As they mentioned in the Spin article, they owe it to the fact that they " haven't tried it before, this is just what it is," says drummer Chris Tomson.

Check out their music at their website
and then go see them at Brown University's 2008 Spring weekend, along with M.I.A. and Girl Talk.

No comments: